Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Grey's 1st Angel Day


The anticipation of December 12th was much worse than the actual day itself. And if I had truly stopped to think about it, I would have realized that, not unlike any other day, my friends and family would be there to get me through.

Many of you have since apologized for not being able to either be there at all, or be there for our 2:00 balloon release. My response to that would be to show you the picture below, snapped at 2:08, exactly a year to the minute that our little man left his broken body. Please take comfort in knowing that you were exactly where you were supposed to be at that very second. For if you had been with us, the picture may had turned out very differently (I see it as a heart with wings).
The crucial times I was worried about getting through, 2:08 and 4:30 (when Grey's little body was driven away) were full of waves of people. It was perfect! At 4:30, we were too busy playing the Wii to even notice what time it was.

Families brought us ornaments, a great idea inspired by Misti. She asked that people bring ornaments that reminded them of Grey. It was incredible to see how others viewed our little man. We got angels, cardinals, a dove (all the way from Hunter's Hope in NY), a Texas flag, jungle animals, and ornaments encompassing our whole family. It was incredible!


People wrote messages to Grey on balloons and sent them up to him. What I wouldn't have given to see what they all had written! A few that weren't here wrote poems and mailed them to us. We also bought a blue star balloon on which we put his name on with stickers. Ry let that one go.



A few people asked if they could go into Grey's room. I get that, and thank you for asking. Some just felt the need to feel closer to him. And when I would come to check on you, and hear you talking to him . . . my heart just swelled, as did my eyes.

I imagine that this will be an annual thing, maybe some years bigger than the others depending on the day of the week that the 12th falls. I could go on and on about all the parts that made up this perfect day, but instead I'll just post pictures.

Thank you, all of you, for getting us through this first year. I know Grey lives in all of you. I love you.









1 comment:

Carrie said...

I wish we could have been there.

I LOVE the picture of the balloons. It definitely formed the shape of a heart with wings! You should blow it up and frame it. It is just perfect!